Thursday, January 21, 2021

A Journey with Hobbits While Creating

 Today’s a little gloomy, and since we’re still stuck inside, I thought I’d work a little on decorating my goose feather tree for February. 

So, along with being a rug hooker, wool dyer, knitter, crocheter, etc. I make goose feather trees just as they did back in the late 1800’s. They are easy, if not a bit “fiddly” to make, and you can make them any size for any space in your home. They can be decorated for any holiday, season, or just left plain.  The one I leave out and decorate year-round is about two feet tall, and sits in a cream color base with dried moss around the base. My plan is to show how I decorate my tree each month, sometimes changing decorations a couple of times in the month. 


Here she is decorated for Christmas and January. I found the ornaments at TJ Maxx, and they are reproductions of glass German ornaments. I am absolutely in love with them, and run across a box or two of them every other year, and always grab them! 


For February, I am making a yo yo garland and tiny crocheted red hearts. The garland will have yo yos and red beads, and the hearts will hang at the end of the branches. Can’t wait to show you the decorated tree!

While making yo yos and crocheting tiny hearts, I’m watching The Hobbit trilogy. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings has been a favorite since fourth grade. I still have my books from way back then, and both of our kids read them when they were in school. 

Here they are, and sit front and center on my bookshelf. So, do/did you fall in love with Tolkien’s world and characters? 

Happy crafting and creating!


No comments:

Samplermaker