Tuesday, April 13, 2021

A Happy Surprise for my weekend!

 So, last Tuesday or Wednesday, I came across an Instagram post from an organization called Multicolores.  This wonderful organization is a non-profit in Guatemala that supports Maya women in self-discovery and artistic development.  (I grabbed this from their site because, well, they say it best)!  

Multicolores - Who We Are

The organizers were giving a free spot in their Intermediate-Advanced Rug Hooking Class, so I added a like and comment, and promptly forgot about it.  On Friday, I got an email from the Creative Director, Madeline Kreider Carlson that I was being given a spot and the class starts on Saturday!  I downloaded the course information, and informed everybody in my house that I was busy Saturday and Sunday!  

Fast forward to Saturday, and let me tell you, I was blown away!  Instead of me telling you about what I saw, let me show you pictures of the beautiful art I got to look at as well as chat with two of the artists in this group.  (I did get permission to post pictures from their website, but definitely go there and check it out, there's so much more)!

Multicolores 

designed and crafted by Irma Raquel Churunel Ajú, member of the Chuacruz rug hooking group

One of our teachers

designed and crafted by Bartola Morales Tol, member of the Patanatic rug-hooking group

designed and crafted by Imelda Estela Pich Chopén, member of the Chuacruz rug hooking group

designed and crafted by Nicolasa Pacay Barán de Barreno, member of the Patanatic rug hooking group


The class was three hours on Saturday and three hours on Sunday.  We were given some templates that are used by the Maya artists as well as beautiful examples of their rugs.  The two artists that were our teachers for this class were Irma Raquel Churunel Aju' and Yolanda Churunel Aju' (sisters). 

Irma Raquel Churunel Aju' is inspired by ancient Mayan symbols (nahuales), and is a member of the Multicolores Leadership Program



 Yolanda Churunel Aju', and is a pioneer in designing story rugs.  These story rugs portray a narrative often inspired by Maya history or legends.  


So, now that  you've seen just a few of the beautiful rugs, can you guess what medium they use?  Nope, it's not wool.....it's t-shirts, or paca, which means second-hand clothes.  Once clothing has made the rounds from retail stores, thrift stores, Goodwill, etc, there are companies that buy clothing by the pound and ship it overseas to other countries, Guatemala included.  The artists of Multicolores use this second-hand clothing (mostly t-shirts) as is to create these beautiful rugs.

There were four of us taking this class, and got to design our own rug, learn how to cut the t-shirts into strips, get feedback from Irma and Yolanda on our design as well as our color choices.  They were so kind, and their knowledge just blew me away.  

We were also given our own Nahuale, or spirit totem and your sign is assigned to you at birth from the Tzolk'in calendar  All we needed to do was given them our birth date and year.  

This is my nuahual, Tz'i, which means wolf or dog.  Not sure how accurate this page is, but here's a bit of info.  nahuale Tz'i  You will definitely see this in a future rug I'm going to do,

So, now it's Tuesday, and I'm ready to start my Multicolores rug.  I've got my paca stripped and in bundles, and "some" color planning.  (I'm not the best as color planning ahead of time). 



I've only touched the tip of this wonderful organization and the class.  Please go to their site, read about the wonderful artists and organizers of the group, then get ready to drool over the beautiful artistry!!

Happy Hooking!

 

No comments:

Samplermaker