Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Other primitive work

I thought I'd put some other fun work I did in a separate post. While trying to get rid of my creative block, I tried doing something other than hooking, and had a great time! The last time I was at our local Goodwill looking for wool, I ran across this great shelf/mail holder that was on the weekly 50% off list! So, I splurged the $2 for the shelf, and brought it home. Here's how it looked when I got it home.











Not much to look at, I know, but after a few coats of paint, some sanding to approximate wear, and stain, I think it turned out great!











After that, I was ready for another project, so I headed down to our cellar to see what else I could "antique"! I bought this great little two-drawer chest about 11 years ago at the Harvest Moon Festival here in Naugatuck, and had run out of room for it in my kitchen.










Of course, using the same paint techniques, this is how it looks now. The picture's a little blurry, but it really turned out great.










I grabbed the idea for this refinishing project from The Pickled PepperPatch.
She has some really great ideas, so head over to your Goodwill, Salvation Army, and tag sales for some great and inexpensive things that can be made over!!

1 comment:

Tammy Burks said...

Naomi,
Glad the Baked Potato Soup was a hit at your house. I'm a flexetarian, so good for you for making some easy changes to make this work for your family. I tried vegetarian, but now consider myself a conscious carnivore (I try to buy meat that was raised ethically/humanely).
Love how you paint the things you find!

Samplermaker